The police command in Enugu has launched a massive manhunt for gunmen who attacked its operatives on a routine stop-and-search duty at Uwani in the Enugu metropolis.
Its spokesman, DSP Daniel Ndukwe, said in a statement on Monday in Enugu that the manhunt had resulted in the gunmen abandoning a black Mercedes Benz ML 350 they used for the operation along Enugu-Port-Harcourt Road.
The statement said the attack took place at Osadebe Stree, Kenyatta Market Enugu, on Sunday, at about 11:30 a.m.
“The armed hoodlums, who came in their numbers and operating in SUVs, suddenly opened fire on the police operatives on routine stop-and-search duty. Many of the hoodlums escaped with varying degrees of fatal gunshot injuries in the ensuing gun duel with the operatives,” the police statement said. “Two of the police operatives, who sustained severe gunshot injuries were moved to the hospital and they were confirmed dead and their corpses deposited in the mortuary for preservation.”
A manhunt was “immediately launched,” resulting in the gunmen abandoning the black Mercedes Benz ML 350 4Matic SUV they used for the attack, said the command.
The police said the vehicle, riddled with gunshots and blood stains, had been recovered.
“The recovery of the vehicle and the signs thereof, corroborates preliminary investigation, which suggests that at least two of the hoodlums were neutralised,” stated the command.
Police commissioner Ahmed Ammani had ordered tactical/operational operatives of the command to sustain the “ongoing manhunt operation,” the statement revealed.
“The CP, therefore, urges citizens of the state and the general public to assist the command with useful information that will aid the speedy arrest of the suspects. The state police boss also called on residents and owners of medical facilities in particular to report any person or persons, dead or alive, sighted with gunshots injuries to the police,” said the police statement.